Please read the answers to similar questions.
Long story short: Yes, you can distribute Wireshark as part of your CD, as long as you follow the rules of the GPL license
Just a few more hints (simplified version of the GPL - as I understand it).
You can use/distribute Wireshark, even in a commercial environment
- as long as you don't modify the product and you make clear that it is an open source product and not your product (e.g. don't make it look like it is your product by replacing icons/texts with company icons/texts and the like)
- if you extend the functionality of the product you must make the code changes publicly available, if you distribute or sell the modified product
- if use code of the product to build/extend your own products, you must make the code of your own products publicly available, if you distribute or sell that product
- If you use the product only internally (no selling, no distribution, no making available in any sense), you can change the product however you like, without the need to make those changes publicly available.
One more GPL hint:
- You must allow anybody who receives the version of Wireshark on your product CD to give away that version of Wireshark to anybody they want, including people who haven't purchased your product, and must allow them to give away the source to that version of Wireshark. (This will NOT, as far as I know, require you to give away the source to your own software on the same CD, as bundling Wireshark with that software will, I think, count as "mere aggregation" of the two pieces of software, to use the term used in the GPL. However, I am not a lawyer, so, as per Kurt's suggestion, you should ask your corporate lawyers about all this.
answered 12 Jul '13, 00:43
Kurt Knochner ♦
accept rate: 15%
edited 14 Jul '13, 10:54
Guy Harris ♦♦